The Swiss Federal Nuclear Safety Inspectorate ENSI is the supervisory authority for nuclear safety and security. The scope of the IRRS mission to Switzerland covers all facilities and activities that are supervised by ENSI, i.e.:
• Nuclear Power Plants
• Research Reactors
• Waste Facilities
The continued operation of the existing nuclear power plants and the management of radioactive waste are the major challenges of ENSI. Therefore, the mission focuses primarily on nuclear power plants and waste facilities.
The IRRS Mission to Switzerland includes the 10 core modules based on the IAEA’s document “Integrated Regulatory Review Service – Guidelines for the Preparation and the Conduct of IRRS Missions” (Edition 2010).
• Module 1 Responsibilities and Functions of the Government
• Module 2 Global Nuclear Safety Regime
• Module 3 Responsibilities and Functions of the Regulatory Body
• Module 4 Management System of the Regulatory Body
• Module 5 Authorization
• Module 6 Review and Assessment
• Module 7 Inspection
• Module 8 Enforcement
• Module 9 Regulations and Guides
• Module 10 Emergency Preparedness and Response