The Swiss nuclear power plants use forgings for the safety-relevant main components with fully documented manufacturing and material quality certificates. This was confirmed by the operators in response to an enquiry made by the Swiss Federal Nuclear Safety Inspectorate (ENSI).
Switzerland has submitted its 7th National Report to the Convention on Nuclear Safety (CNS) at the International Atomic Energy Agency IAEA in Vienna. Amongst other aspects, the report indicates to what extent the principles from the Vienna declaration on nuclear safety have been implemented.
Analyses of the events in Fukushima revealed that the operator was not solely responsible for the failures in the run-up to the earthquake and tsunami, but rather that the supervisory authorities were also partly responsible. The Swiss Federal Nuclear Safety Inspectorate (ENSI) therefore took this opportunity to review its own oversight culture.
In future, there are to be no further contradictions between neighbouring countries with regard to emergency measures in the immediate aftermath of serious nuclear accidents. Europe’s two most important bodies for nuclear oversight and radiation protection have developed the so-called HERCA-WENRA Approach in order to bring about harmonisation.
The experts of the European Nuclear Safety Regulators Group (ENSREG) have joined others in awarding good marks to Switzerland’s nuclear power plants. In their assessment of Switzerland’s National Report for the EU Stress Test, the EU experts conclude that Swiss nuclear power plants meet the international safety requirements in all areas, and Switzerland is even […]
At the 59th General Conference of the IAEA the representatives of the member states held discussions about various topics in the field of nuclear energy. The Swiss delegation with its representatives emphasised the international strengthening of nuclear safety.
POPULAR NEWS ARTICLES
- Switzerland achieves majority in favour of improving the Convention on Nuclear Safety
- “We shall make every possible effort to ensure that nuclear power plants throughout the world become safer”
- ENSI is also focusing on safety culture
- ENSI has a new mission statement
- ENSI follows WENRA recommendation on review of reactor pressure vessels
- Switzerland submits its National Report to the Convention on Nuclear Safety at the IAEA
- Convention on Nuclear Safety ensures high global safety standards in nuclear power plants