The Swiss Federal Nuclear Safety Inspectorate assessed the earthquake safety of the Beznau nuclear power plant in accordance with the legal requirements. The Swiss Federal Administrative Court has thus rejected an appeal lodged by 15 individuals.
In mid-January, a delegation from the Nuclear Regulatory body of Russia and the Russian Scientific and Engineering Centre for Nuclear and Radiation Safety visited ENSI to learn more about the search for a site for deep geological repositories in Switzerland. In addition to the site selection process, the next step in Russia is the construction of an underground research laboratory in the Krasnoyarsk region.
A year after Jürg Schmid retired from the ENSI Board, the Federal Council has selected Tanja Manser as his successor. The ENSI Board will therefore have six members from 1 January 2019.
The reactor pressure vessel is enclosed by the containment as the third barrier. This consists of a steel primary containment and a concrete secondary containment.
The experts of the European Nuclear Safety Regulators Group (ENSREG) have joined others in awarding good marks to Switzerland’s nuclear power plants. In their assessment of Switzerland’s National Report for the EU Stress Test, the EU experts conclude that Swiss nuclear power plants meet the international safety requirements in all areas, and Switzerland is even […]
At the 59th General Conference of the IAEA the representatives of the member states held discussions about various topics in the field of nuclear energy. The Swiss delegation with its representatives emphasised the international strengthening of nuclear safety.
- Series of articles on barriers 6/6: The containment holds radioactive substances in the reactor building
- Series of articles on barriers 5/6: The water circuit (primary circuit part 2 of 2)
- Series of articles on barriers 4/6: The reactor pressure vessel (primary circuit part 1 of 2)
- Series of articles on barriers 3/6: The fuel rod cladding tubes (fuel assemblies part 2 of 2)
- Series of articles on barriers 2/6: The nuclear fuel matrix (fuel assemblies part 1 of 2)
- Series of articles on barriers 1/6: Barriers protect people and the environment from radioactive substances